Saturday, June 25, 2011

Same Song, Different Verse

Before Daughter went to the adult special needs camp, she complained. She told me she didn't belong with special needs people. She told me she hated doing camp things. She also told me I was forcing her, of course. As you may recall, as we headed to camp, she said, "Daughter, stop smiling! You're supposed to be mad."
.
Tomorrow she heads to high school camp. Last night she complained. She told me she liked being with special needs people, she didn't want to to go to high school camp. When she heard they were going to a minor league baseball game, she informed she just wanted to do camp things. I listened in amusement and asked if she was going to say, "Daughter, stop smiling! You're supposed to be mad."
.
I also reminded her it was natural to be nervous about going to camp. We talked about all the ways this time would be different, since she knew the staff and had been to the camp before. She stopped complaining-- at least for last night.

No comments: