Friday, June 24, 2011

Discerning Truth

This morning Daughter asked if I'd received an email from her program manager about her roller skating outing today. I told her I hadn't.
.
She informed me that they were going roller sating today-- except they weren't going to let her roller skate because they didn't want her breaking an ankle before she leaves for camp on Sunday. She went on to tell me she wouldn't need to take lunch, as they were having pizza at the roller rink. She told me she'd need $11-12 for the lunch.
.
This just didn't make sense. They try to keep costs down-- I think Daughter's weekly activities cost $8. The people in the program have very little money to spend on entertainment. It made even less sense that they would plan something this expensive without contacting the parent/guardians about the need for additional money. Program Coordinator had surgery last week, so she's off sick. I couldn't imagine that they'd be relying on her to do the communicating when she's on sick leave.
.
Daughter was insistent. I was conflicted. I wasn't comfortable with her taking that much money. I didn't want to have to take her lunch if it turned out they weren't having pizza at a roller rink. She finally said, "If you want me to, I'll take a lunch." So I packed her a lunch and let her take $5.
.
I got a text after she arrived. "We aren't going roller skating. We're going shopping. How much money can I spend?"
.
Did she deliberately lie? Was she just confused? Did they change plans? I'll probably never know.

2 comments:

Heather said...

I think that's one of the things that drives me nuts sometimes - trying to ferret out the truth from the mixture of truths, fabrications and misunderstandings my daughter comes up with. Some of it is innocent confusion, but much of it isn't, and I spend so much time playing detective. I'm glad you're getting another break soon, and hope you enjoy your month off!

Reverend Mom said...

I agree-- the lying is one of the hardest things to deal with. I get so tired of having to double check stories....

I spent quite a bit of time working in the yard today. I think a good chunk of my vacation time will be devoted to making some changes in the gardens. I'm looking forward to it.