Saturday, June 25, 2011

Vacation Plans

I spent about 4 hours today working in the yard. It was sunny and in the low 70's, and it was a wonderful day to be out there working. I had said I wasn't going to make any major changes to the yard this summer because I wanted to live with it a year. I've changed my mind. Much of my vacation time is going to be spent working in the yard.
.
I'm going to take out the split rail fence at the back. It's decorative, as there is a taller wood fence behind it. The space between it and the bigger fence is a haven for weeds. The fence is beginning to fall down on it's own, so I'm going to help it along. I'm going to plant raspberry and blueberry bushes along the back fence. I'm going to start my raised garden bed this year. It will be in front of the bushes.
.
I need to paint the privacy fence by the patio. I'm also going to move the hostas next to the patio and plant flowers. I want color up by the patio. I'm going to take out the ferns that are in front of the hostas up next to the family room. They are taller than the hostas, and there are lots of weeds growing among them. I'll move ferns and hostas back under the pine tree. I already have a row of hostas at the edge, but I want something other than weeds back under it.
.
I need to do some more trimming on my trees. The maple is rubbing against the house again. I want to get gutter guards. One of the saints will help me install them, I just need to finish measuring and purchase them. It's been fun discovering what's in my yard, now I'm ready to make it my own. I need to do a lot more mulching to keep down the weeds. I also want to plant some grass seed in the bare spots. I think I'm making headway with the grubs and moles.
.
I'm excited about the plans. I think it will be a great way to spend my vacation time and money-- I'll be getting my outdoors fix plus doing something that I will enjoy and appreciate in future years. I'm looking forward to getting started.

No comments: