Friday, June 3, 2011

Interesting Conversation

So Daughter wanted to earn money last night to go shopping. She wanted money to buy things for the dance. I asked her what she wanted to buy. She wanted makeup, and then she was wondering if she could earn enough money that night to buy a video camera. Have I mentioned that she has a difficult time with money. I gave her some chores, and told her if she did them properly I'd take her to the store to get makeup. She she finished and I went in to inspect. Of course they weren't done properly. I gave her one chance to fix them. She was quite frustrated and decided we wouldn't go to the store. She was playing the victim, all persecuted.

I sat her down and talked to her about employment skills, and the importance of doing things right the first time. I talked about double checking your work. I said if she'd looked at the floor, she would have seen the hair on it. The best exchange of the night: "Or maybe I saw the hair on the floor and swept around it."

"Why would you do that?"

"So you'd say I couldn't go to the dance."

Sigh.

1 comment:

maeve said...

Sounds so familiar! But you knew that.