Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Unbelievable

Yesterday Therapist did some problem solving with Daughter regarding her bed wetting. I'd already explained that depends wouldn't work because Daughter soaks through them. So Daughter and Therapist decided she'd take her pills at 7:00 and then she wouldn't have anything more to drink.
.
I dutifully provided her pills a few minutes after 7:00.
.
This morning I looked in the refrigerator, and realized that a gallon of milk was missing. A full gallon. One of the two gallons I bought on sale Sunday. I stood there trying to figure out what could have happened to it.
.
I went upstairs and opened the door to Daughter's room, and my nose was met by the usual stink from her urine. There, on top of the trash, was an empty milk jug. She drank the entire gallon of milk last night. The entire gallon. It didn't make her sick. I'm sure her blood sugar will be sky high when she comes down in a few minutes. She's upstairs showering right now. A full gallon of milk. Unbelievable.

8 comments:

Kari said...

A full gallon?! Wow. How are you supposed to manage the bedwetting, not to mention blood sugars, when she is sneaking an entire gallon of milk at night?!

Anonymous said...

Amazing. She's deliberately sabotaging herself. You may have to put a lock on your refrigerator.

Reverend Mom said...

Kari,
I'm not sure how I'm supposed to keep her safe from herself. The reality is I can't keep her safe from herself.

Anon,
She's always been good at sabotaging herself. The more I tighten up, the sneaker she gets. I'm not teaching her to take care of herself, I'm teaching her to better cover her tracks. Wrong lesson.

maeve said...

Amazing! You tell her in no uncertain terms that this is her problem and you will not participate and she tries to engage you by drinking the milk and leaving the jug in her wastebasket. (she should have thrown it out the window or something.) Does she know the difference between her agreement to drink no water after seven and the milk? I don't know.


You sure didn't ask advice in this but I can't resist. Her problem, not yours. I wonder how uncomfortable it is to sleep on a soaking wet mattress that stinks? Especially if you made it happen intentionally. Wonder what will happen when the mattress starts to leak through the bottom. Maybe the plastic needs to be under the bed so you don't ruin the floor.

She's such a great girl and so much more competent than anyone believes. I think she should be on her own in the problem to try to solve it. She has a therapist and a psychiatrist and a mom who loves her and wants her to succeed. The ball is in her court.

Reverend Mom said...

Maeve,
I am always grateful for your hard won wisdom. Therapist, Case Manager, and I have all discussed how her behavior is becoming more borderline. Birth mom had borderline personality disorder. I had them put in her case plan that she can only take naps in her own bed. I will not have her wetting my bed again or doing it on the couch or someplace. I can seek to limit the damage, but I can't stop it.

maeve said...

Oh, yea, good old Borderline. I have two of those, sequelai to RAD. It's the same old dx, only for adults. RAD = Borderline.

I'm so sorry that you're at this place in your life. I remember this place and have no advice. It doesn't matter what the case plan says. She's doing emotional extortion. She wants you to.....
I have no idea what.

Once you limit the peeing damage there will be some other damage. This is sad but true.

I have no idea what I'm talking about. I can't think like a Borderline person.

Jules said...

This is none of my business of course, but I'm curious- what was her reaction when you told her about the milk? Also, I'm sorry to hear about your cat :(

Reverend Mom said...

Maeve,

But you have survived 2 borderlines-- gives you great insight.

Jules,

She practiced pushing my buttons of course. She shut down and was silent. There's nothing that infuriates me more when I'm confronting her with something. I need to practice not reacting.