Sunday, March 7, 2010

The Dangers of Texting and Walking

Daughter thought it was totally unfair that she had to remake my bed yesterday. She'd apologized, wasn't that enough? Unfortunately, the mattress wasn't dry by bedtime, so I made her set up the guest room for me. She's upstairs making my bed right now. She didn't wet the bed last night. Do you suppose there was a message for me in her wetting my bed while taking a nap?
.
The committee from Small Town was in worship today. Of course a few people figured out what was going on. Most likely all of Tiny Village will know by tonight that I am interviewing for a new church. We had a bunch of kids in worship this morning, and they were very lively during the children's sermon. I loved it, and I'm sure it impressed the committee. We really have some great kids here right now. Daughter still doesn't know. I will take her over there to see the community as soon as they offer me the call. I'm anticipating hearing something in a week to 10 days. They are hearing someone else next weekend.
.
On to the title of my post. Fortunately, the committee from Small Town was gone before this happened: Following worship I was trying to set up a time to get together with the two young men who are doing a dialogue as the prodigal son and older brother next Sunday. I went back to the pulpit to get my blackberry and check my calendar. I was entering the appointment as I can down the steps (okay, it wasn't quite texting), and managed to miss the steps and land on my face. I have two cuts from my glasses and a hug bruise on my left cheek bone. My right wrist (the one I just had surgery on) is very sore and stiff. My left knee is badly bruised. While I was trying to collect my dignity, Daughter was freaking out. She ended up kneeling behind me with her head on my shoulder crying. She was terrified. I kept telling her I was fine. The crowd who gathered kept telling her I would be okay. She wouldn't stand up so I could stand up.
.
They were trying to convince me to come straight home and elevate my knee and put ice on it (they'd gotten ice for my face), but I had to go to Sunday School because we're working on the Wednesday evening services during my Sunday School class. One of the men got the lens back in my glasses, but the frames are pretty badly bent. I was forced to take the lift instead of going down the stairs. Poor Daughter. I got home ahead of her. She walked in and yelled, "Don't you ever do that to me again!"
.
Like I fell flat on my face intentionally? It was something I did to scare her? It was probably good for some of the people to see how it affected her. They don't always understand how deep her problems are. This was a wonderful example. One of the teens finally convinced Daughter to get up and sat beside her in the front pew comforting her. Everyone was very caring and concerned. I am going to be very sore for the next few days, but I will recover. Maybe Daughter will appreciate me a bit more for a few days. That would be nice.

3 comments:

maeve said...

Oh, I almost commented yesterday about the message she was sending by wetting your bed. I really do believe that all of these behaviors are a message, even though the person doesn't know that consciously. As I've said before, she's not nearly as limited as she'd have you believe. Sadly, she doesn't know it either. I listened to K's therapist spout this stuff and thought the therp was crazy, but the honor roll has made me a believer.

Sorry about your fall -- how embarrassing and terrible. Are you OK?

Sending good thoughts during this stressful time. Yuck!

Linda said...

I bet you look like you got beat up! Thank goodness you didn't get hurt worse.

Reverend Mom said...

Maeve,
You are so wise.

I'll survive. Thanks.

Linda,

I told Daughter I'm going to tell people she beat me up. I may yet end up at the doctor. The knee is very tender. It doesn't hurt too much to move it, but contact with one area causes excruciating pain- even after more ibuprofen.