Monday, March 8, 2010

Naming the Behavior

From the time she got home Daughter was acting the victim trying to get my attention. She was falling, complaining of vague physical complaints, and when I ignored it, she kept escalating. We sat down to supper and Sister called. Daughter got a pained look on her face and retreated to the living room. When I asked her what was wrong she ignored me. She came back into the kitchen and sat down across from me and started shaking uncontrollably.
.
"Stop it! Take a deep breath and relax. You're fine."
.
Sister asked what was wrong. "Daughter is trying to get herself into a seizure."
.
That made Daughter mad. She immediately stopped shaking and told me to shut my trap. I got off the phone, and pointed out that ever since she got home, she'd been trying to get my attention. I pointed out it wasn't working, and it might be more effective to use her words and tell me what she wanted. She got mad. She finished her supper while I cleaned up.
.
"I'm sorry."
.
"What are you sorry for?"
.
"For acting the fool."
.
I hadn't been aware of all the times she had intentionally fallen, which is probably good. She informed me she'd been trying to break her ankle. We talked about how she'd been mad because I was busy when she got home.
.
Her grasp of reality is still tenuous, at best. She is back with Flasher, who has an engagement ring for her and tickets to Hawaii. He has a friend who is going to finance an apartment, furniture and food for them. I was quite clear about the fact that none of this was true, and she didn't contradict me. She still thinks it's unfair that I don't approve her relationship with him. I listed the ways he has hurt her and lied to her, and asked if she would approve if I were in a relationship with someone like that. She was horrified-- of course she wouldn't. But she still can't figure out why I won't give him another chance. I told her once again that I can't stop her from being his girl friend, but he is not welcome in our home and I will not help her go meet him. I am so unreasonable.

2 comments:

Miz Kizzle said...

An engagement ring and tickets to Hawaii!
That is so funny and sad. These poor young people can't even figure out how to make change of $1 and yet they want what their normal peers want.
It's a sad commentary on our materialistic culture that even the mentally challenged spurn the simple things that can make us all happy and go for the glitter and the shiny toys.
It seems to me that the workshop culture won't work for your DD. There's too little down time and no incentive to produce work of which they can be proud.

Reverend Mom said...

You pegged it. I'm calling Therapist tomorrow morning. We're going to have to discuss alternatives to the workshop for her.