Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Dad's Corned Beef and Stuff

Since Linda B asked, there isn't really a recipe, but here's how I cooked it. I have a pasta pot with an insert. Occasionally I use it for pasta, but most of the time I use it for other things, such as steaming meat. I put water in the bottom of the pan, dumped the spice packet in that came with the corned beef, and then put it on to cook. I had it hot enough to simmer, but didn't want it boiling so hard that it came up over the meat. This time I didn't need to add additional water, but sometimes I do. It was a small piece of meat, and it took several hours to cook. I cooked it until it reached 160 degrees (Fahrenheit). When it was up to temperature, I pulled it out of the pan, let it sit for a couple of minutes, and then sliced it (make sure you cut corned beef across the grain).
.
I don't like the cabbage, potatoes, and carrots, though Dad used to do those. He'd put them in the water to cook after he'd pulled out the corned beef. He loved cabbage soup. I've never been a big fan of it. Anyway, that's how I did it. We've finished most of it now.
.
I had a wonderful surprise this evening. C stopped by with her niece, who was born prematurely and might be up to 5 lbs now. She's beautiful, and very tiny. It made my evening.
.
Two churches have now called me to set up phone interviews during Holy Week. I told the woman who called tonight that I couldn't believe these committees think we're available Holy Week for interviews. Of course I agreed to the interview. The two interviews next week are with suburban churches in more upscale communities. I've been contaminated by almost 14 years in Tiny Village. I don't know if I can do suburbia anymore. Plus, the suburbia I grew up in was definitely not upscale. God will provide the right place at the right time....

1 comment:

Linda said...

This sounds really good. I've never cooked corned beef, but have wanted to try. This is how I'll do it when I decided to do it. Thanks! Weird that they would ask for interviews next week. Maybe they want to see how you handle a busy, stressful time? Good luck!