Friday, March 19, 2010

Phone Calls

Daughter was at the workshop today, so I was supposed to be able to work uninterrupted. She called a little after lunch to tell me she needed to go to the hospital. Her blood sugars were off and she had a headache. I assured her she didn't need to go to the hospital and told her to focus on something else and she'd feel better.
.
The nurse called to tell me about yesterday's accident report and that Daughter was complaining about not feeling well today. "It's attention seeking behavior. Help her focus on something else."
.
I was visiting with some of the saints at the nursing home and Daughter called. I told her I was busy. She had some questions. After she told me for the third time she had questions but wouldn't tell me what they were and ignored me when I told her I was busy, I informed her I'd see her when she got home and hung up on her.
.
Overall, it's been a productive day. In addition to pastoral care over breakfast, I've done 3 nursing home visits and worked on the Easter Sunrise service. The youth group is gathering at the church from 7 until 11 tonight. We're going to work on Easter Sunrise, eat pizza, and play games. It will be fun. I'm sure Daughter will try to make a scene.
.
I'm not looking forward to her being home for the next 5 days. I haven't gotten my sermon done for Sunday, so I will be busy working on that tomorrow. She won't like that at all. Maybe I can get her to sleep all morning after she's up late tonight over at the church. Therapist told her that if she continued to phone me multiples times a day from the workshop, it would tell us she couldn't handle being there. She may not be able to handle being there, but I think she can cope with that better than I can cope with her being home with me 7 days a week.
.
Cat is not doing well, and that is hanging over our head. She wants to take him over to the church tonight in case he dies. I assured her he'd be fine at home, and pointed out he was alone much of the day while I was out doing my visits. I think she thinks I sit home and eat candy and play computer games all day while she's gone. I wish.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why does she like going to the hospital so much? Do they pamper her or does she just want to escape from her "responsibilities?"

Reverend Mom said...

I think she gets attention there-- from staff and from me. Her hospitalizations totally mess up my schedule, and that makes her feel powerful. Also, when she was quite young, her birth mom thought being a good mom meant taking your kids to the doctor all the time. When she's regressing, she falls back into that pattern.