Wednesday, March 10, 2010

So Much for Being Proactive

So yesterday I was proactive in addressing Daughter's diabetic needs. My hope was that by doing this, we'd avoid the kind of problems we've had in the past. So last night, of course, they didn't have the orders and so didn't check her blood sugar and give her insulin before supper. This morning Daughter called me, sobbing.
.
According to her (and I am aware of the fact that her reporting is not always accurate), they didn't check her blood sugar this morning or give her insulin before breakfast. When they finally checked last night, she says her blood sugar was over 300. They didn't give her anything to bring it down, just her regular bedtime basal insulin. She said she didn't sleep well and didn't feel well. High blood sugars can lead to ketoacidosis, so I'm not surprised she didn't feel well.
.
I told her that it was her responsibility to keep herself safe. I told her that she needed to talk to the nurse and tell her she wasn't safe because they weren't taking care of her diabetes. I told her she needed to tell Psychiatrist what was going on when Psychiatrist came to see her. I told her it was her responsibility, and she could do it.
.
Then I called Psychiatrist's nurse. I gave the standard disclaimer, "I don't know if this is true, but...." She was horrified and assured me that couldn't be the case. I told her we'd had problems in the past, and explained that I'd instructed Daughter to talk to her nurse. I explained I just wanted to make sure Psychiatrist was aware of what Daughter had reported to me, and that someone else knew in case Daughter didn't follow through. She was going to call the unit right away to find out what was going on.
.
I get so tired of going through this every time she is hospitalized. I keep wondering, if highly paid RN's can't handle her diabetes, how can I expect the workers making less than $8 an hour in the supported living situations to do it?
.
I called and talked to Case Manager this morning. They don't have a way to keep Flasher and Daughter separated if they don't want to be separated. I may have to pull Daughter out of the workshop. We'll see.
.
The good news is that I have a rough draft done on the dialogue sermon for Sunday. I'm ready for tonight's worship, too.

2 comments:

maeve said...

You must be so frustrated! First you can't figure out if the hospital is tracking blood sugars and administering insulin correctly. Secondly because this workshop, which is supposed to exist to keep people safe, is using rules to keep safety from happening. What the heck does "we can't keep them apart unless they ask for it" mean? If these were young people who knew how to stay safe they wouldn't need to be in the workshop.

We can only hope that there are some other options soon.

I'm sorry this stuff is happening to you and daughter.

Thinking of you with love and peace. M.

Reverend Mom said...

Thanks, Maeve. I'm working hard at not taking problems that don't belong to me. Most of the time I'm doing okay with it. I'd prefer not to waste my energy being frustrated. We will get through this. It will work out.