Sunday, March 21, 2010

I Should Know Better

So yesterday as I was writing a post celebrating the fact Daughter hadn't wet her bed Friday night, Daughter was up in her room taking a nap and wetting her bed. I keep grasping on to any sign of improvement, but I need to remember not to celebrate too soon....
.
This morning I discovered that she has been into the can of prunes, which she supposedly hates. I now know the reason for at least some of the high blood sugars. I made her eat her breakfast in her stinky room with the door alarm set while I was in the shower. She informed me the door alarm was pathetic. I readily agreed, "It really is pathetic that you won't keep yourself safe and so I have to use a door alarm so I can keep you safe." She didn't have a response to that one.
.
This is going to be a very busy week. I'm very behind on my Holy Week preparations. This is also newsletter week, and the youth group is responsible for the Wednesday evening meal, which means I'll have to do much of the work. I won't be getting a day off, I just hope that Daughter doesn't create a crisis to further mess up my schedule. I need to work hard at staying in the station while she rides the roller coaster.

8 comments:

Jules said...

Would it help if you put a lock on the fridge, etc? I'm sure you've thought of this already but I thought I'd just throw it out there. Keeping you both in my thoughts and prayers.

Miz Kizzle said...

I was pleased when you reported that she hadn't wet the bed. I guess it was too much to hope for that she would have been over that for good.
Since she's choosing to eat high-sugar foods and to otherwise do self-injurious things she should expect you'd take steps to keep her safe. If you didn't care you wouldn't check her insulin or use the door alarm.
Put the focus on you and your work this week. Easter is a biggie and you need to prepare.
I hope things are better tomorrow.

Reverend Mom said...

Therapist and I have thrown around possibilities. It would be very hard to secure everything. Sweets and other high temptation items are locked up in a file cabinet with meds. We have this wonderful historic pantry under the steps. It would take 4 locks to secure it all and do damage to the woodwork. Locking the refrigerator and freezer would be a challenge. Plus, we think Daughter would take it as a challenge-- she'd have to prove that I can't keep her out of food. I certainly don't want to escalate. I bought jelly beans for the Wednesday supper today. Daughter asked me to lock the up. I left them over at the church, which should do the trick.

Thanks for your prayers.

Reverend Mom said...

Miz Kizzle,
We were posting at the same time. I still think Daughter is a little bit more stable. She doesn't seem to be doing as much rapid cycling. I'm formulating plans of things C can do with her Tuesday and Wednesday that will keep her busy, lighten my load, and help her to recognize that I have lots of responsibilities and am very busy while she's at the workshop.

Jules said...

You're welcome. Maybe you could attach bells to the doors? You know, those little ones that people usually put on their christmas trees?

Reverend Mom said...

Jules,

Thank you! Something that would make noise-- I have to think through the possibilities. The alarm I have on her bedroom door is very small-- maybe I could mount those on the inside of the cabinet doors and have them alert when the doors are opened. I'm going to have to check out that possibility!

Jules said...

Hey you're welcome. I don't have kids myself, but I have a pretty good memory of all the shenanigans I pulled when I was a kid! My poor parents

maeve said...

So, the door alarm is pathetic is it? I loved your response!