Monday, March 22, 2010

Arrogance

For months I have prayed every Sunday in worship for our leaders to set aside partisan politics and opinion polls to lead us in the way God would have us go as a country. I have not stated what I think it is that God wants, just asked that our leaders would know it and follow it. Now that's not to say I haven't had personal opinions, just that I'm not arrogant enough to think that I know the mind of God. I have suggested that instead of telling God what to do, we should be asking God what we are supposed to do. One of my favorite lines (and I don't know who originated it) is that we should approach God as a private seeking orders, not a general giving orders.
.
So last night health care reform passed the House of Representatives. Immediately people on both sides of the debate began attacking the bill as at worse, evil, or at best, a setback. I find myself wondering if they think all the prayers were for nothing. What if this is what God wanted? What if all those prayers were answered? I'm not saying that is the case, I am saying that I think it is unbelievably arrogant to think that if things don't go the way we want, God ignored our prayers and evil prevailed.
.
In my congregation I know that today there are a number of people who are angry and scared. I also fear that if I try to raise these questions with them, I will be seen as the enemy, and someone to be feared. I see the fear and mistrust within our country right now as unhealthy. Our security comes from God, not the government. There are many people right now who need to take a deep breath, step back, and ask themselves some hard questions. Perhaps beginning with, "Does God answer prayers? If so, why do I think God is ignoring my prayers?"
.
I grieve this morning, not the decision that has been made, but the demonization of those who disagree with us.

5 comments:

Marge said...

My friend and I had this exact conversation yesterday. We came to the same conclusion, that we need to accept this as God's will for us at this time. We don't know why, we don't understand His purpose, but we are comforted by the fact that all things will work together for good....maybe not today, or tomorrow, but at some point we will see His will for us.

Our job now is to continue to pray that God will give us good and faithful leaders.

Reverend Mom said...

Marge,
It's encouragint to know that others are sharing this view. Maybe it will begin to spread and some of the hysteria will diminish.

Anonymous said...

Nice to hear from someone else who thinks as I do, considering the disagreements on politics in my home.... Thanks.
KJK

maeve said...

I think that the hysteria is being fueled purposefully by people with a political agenda. I'm not a religious person but I can tell you that I believe in good and evil -- some of this stuff is really evil.

Peggy B. Jackson said...

I only believe that nothing is permitted to happen without reason, we as humans simply have to be keen in listening to the signs of the times leading to what God really wanted to happen. After all, all of this are already written, all that is happening is planned, there is no such thing as coincidence and there is simply no room for chance.