Monday, March 22, 2010

Moving

Last night we had a board meeting. Since five strangers appeared in worship two weeks ago, people have figured out that I am looking for a new call and maybe moving soon. So, it came up at the meeting and we had a discussion. The responses were interesting.
.
There was dismay: "Is it something we've done?"
.
There was anger: "We have a right to know if you're thinking of leaving. Why didn't you tell us?"
.
There was fear: "We don't want to be without a pastor. Can't we start looking for a new one now?"
.
There were threats: "I told those people you are a heavy drinker." (I think he was joking.)
.
We had an interesting discussion. I explained that I felt like my work here was done, and that it was time for them to hear a fresh voice. I indicated that I knew there were people who thought I should have gone some time ago. I explained that I wanted to find someplace that would have more options for Daughter.
.
They see the church as healthy, growing, and moving forward. They like my preaching. They would prefer I stay. I know there is one family where there are some members who are very frustrated with me. Two of them are currently on the board. One said that there were a couple of men with big mouths who aren't going to control the direction of the church. He basically dismissed them as blowhards. He also commented on how attached some of the women are to me. He told me that he didn't make decisions based on his kids, though he acknowledged my situation with Daughter is a bit different. The other person from that family acknowledged that they have some very lively discussions at family gatherings. I don't doubt that at all.
.
I told them I may still be here in 5 years, but if I do receive a call, I will give them 6 weeks notice. I also strongly recommended that they get an interim pastor to help guide them through the time between called pastors.
.
I talked about the progress we've made, especially in terms of accepting change. Part of our vision statement talks about communicating the unchanging news in new ways. We talked about how the congregation had not only come to accept the new ways, but expect it. When I went in to get readers for this Wednesday's worship service, I had ready volunteers.
.
Perhaps the man who seemed most dismayed has a father and grandfather who have made my life very difficult at times.
.
I also apologized for being distracted the last few weeks, and outlined the steps I have taken to assure that Daughter's ability to disrupt my work is minimized. I haven't posted about her today, not because she's not here or is greatly improved, but because I am doing a better job of avoiding getting sucked in to her drama.
.
All in all, it was a good, productive meeting. Today has been a productive day, as well. My part of the newsletter is completely done. Once Secretary finishes her part tomorrow morning, it will be ready to go.

2 comments:

Miz Kizzle said...

I think an interim pastor would be a very good idea. In my church it's a requirement that an interim pastor serve for one year before a permanent new minister is hired. It gives the congregation a chance to get used to the old pastor being gone and to prepare themselves for a new ministry. In our case the pastor had served for over 25 years and he was very much a fixture at the church. If a new pastor had come in on the heels of the old one there would have been a lot time wasted comparing the two ministers' personalities and preaching styles, time which would be better spent moving forward as a congregation.
As for the man who said he didn't make decisions based on the needs of his children, his comment was thoughtless and rude. He obviously has no idea what it's like to raise a child with your daughter's issues.

Reverend Mom said...

They didn't get an interim before me, because they didn't want to spend the money. My first few years here were very difficult as I dealt with issues that are better dealt with by an interim. I told them I hoped they would put ministry above finances and use one this time.

I don't think he intended to be rude. He has two healthy, intelligent, young adult children. He can't understand the struggles with Daughter. He announced that I have spent 27% of my life here. He was a little off, but not much. For the young man who was so dismayed, I've been here close to half of his lifetime. It's been wonderful to be able to watch a generation grow up.