Tuesday, June 8, 2010

A Moment of Joy

This morning I had to leave at 6:15 to go get an MRI on my knee. I dragged Daughter along, since I couldn't leave her home alone and I wasn't going to try to find someone to come stay with her that early in the morning. I told her we'd go out for breakfast when I was done, which guaranteed she'd be cooperative. She worried, of course, and thought it took too long. I thought it took to long, too, but for different reasons. If I keep the sore knee straight for any length of time, it hurts. By the time they finished the scan, the whole leg was one giant cramp.
.
At the restaurant I told Daughter I had listened to the Nutcracker Suite through the headphones they gave me during the scan. Her face lit up, and she began to sing one of the tunes for me. As I sat there, watching her across the table, it was a moment of pure joy. She was so happy, so beautiful, and I was so grateful that she is my daughter. Moments like that almost make up for the challenges.
.
She's home with me today. I decided I'd lost too much of the day to take her into the gift shop after the MRI. She was frustrated, but with some help began focusing on the positive. She's now doing household tasks to earn money to pay off the ipod. This morning was the second day in a row she was dry. I will enjoy these good moments for as long as they last. They help carry me through the challenging times.

2 comments:

maeve said...

Three cheers for daughter and for you.

My girl came home from "finals" in a good mood. Finals don't mean much in the adopted kids' school but a good mood means a lot.

Moments of joy are a good thing; maybe the best thing.

Reverend Mom said...

Joy is good. We treasure it more because there is so often we don't experience it.