Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Victory!

This morning Daughter got up before I did. When she heard me up and moving, she said, "I'm making it up to you by making breakfast." I told her to stop. I came downstairs to find her pouting. I explained to her that I didn't want her making a mess in the kitchen until she showed she could be responsible about cleaning. I explained I don't have time to clean up her mess when I'm forced to do her other chores.
.
She apologized and promised to turn it around this evening. I suggested she had a task she could do before she left. She refused, and went out to wait for the bus 40 minutes early. Shortly after lunch she called, and apologized again, promising to do a better job. Then she told me she wanted me to come pick her up, because she was having issues with a friend. I thanked her for the apology and told her I had confidence in her ability to make it through the rest of the day.
.
I checked her bedroom today, and discovered that at some point she had managed to get my old laptop up into her bedroom. She's not allowed to take it upstairs. I confiscated it. The rest of her room was okay. When she got home, she went right to work. She even used cleaner on the hardwood floors in the downstairs hall. I fixed one of her summer favorites for supper. She is frustrated because I haven't let her turn on the TV yet, but she is being responsible, and was even honest about having gotten into some food. It looks like I won this time. I'm sure she won't give me much time to savor the victory.

No comments: