Thursday, June 10, 2010

A Very Brief Celebration

Daughter didn't allow me much time to savor the victory. I had no sooner posted when she came back downstairs announcing she didn't feel good and had to check her blood sugar. Her blood sugar was fine, so she went back upstairs. She was only there a few minutes when she called that she needed me because she'd vomited. I went upstairs to discover that she had put a comforter on her bedroom floor to sleep on, and it was now very disgusting. Not only that, she had managed to get some on the light beige carpet. She'd been drinking red sugar free punch all evening. I think you probably are getting the picture. I've cleaned it three times with spot carpet cleaner and the best I can say is it's no longer bright red.
.
I asked why she was on the floor. She didn't know. I went over to her bed, pulling back the sheets so she could get in it. She'd wet the bed. She'd been dry 3 mornings in a row, and yesterday evening while pouting/napping, she wet it. By this time the comforter and rags I'd used to clean the floor were in the washing machine. I got an old towel out of the linen closet and told her to put it over the wet spot and go to bed.
.
One of the ways Daughter protected herself when was was being abused/molested was to dissociate. She left her body. By doing that, she avoided feeling the pain. It's amazing what the mind can do to enable someone to endure the unendurable. Amazing. The problem is, her mind did too good a job. She still has trouble interpreting the signals her body sends her. Thus there are still times when I have to explain that the discomfort she is feeling is because she needs to go to the bathroom. She'll argue with me, and then, after she's made use of the facilities, admit I was right.
.
She honestly didn't realize that her body was telling her she was going to vomit. She doesn't do it very often, and only knew something wasn't right, so she checked her blood sugar. The ongoing challenges from those first three years continue to amaze me. This morning she was feeling better, so she's off to the gift shop. She was feeling very guilty about last night. I told her several times to use the guilt to motivate herself to make today better. I want another victory to savor.

No comments: