Tuesday, May 10, 2011

To Laugh or To Cry

Tonight is the night Daughter goes off to respite and I go on an overnight retreat. She's handling the anxiety remarkably well. She tells me every so often she's very scared. She decided to take a stuffed animal that I gave her with her. She packed on her own, so I hope she packed what she needed. I decided not to check on her, as she was very proud of being responsible. This morning I put two (sloppy) french braids in her hair. I did it after we got to the church. I figured it was an acceptable way for her to get some mommy time before she goes to respite tonight.

She was quite proud of the fact that she was dry this morning. I expressed my pleasure then asked, "How did you do it?"

"It was easy. I went to the bathroom before I went to bed last night."

"Don't you do that every night?"

She looked at me like I was an idiot. "No."

Sigh. Her third air mattress in the past six months is no longer holding air. I'm considering buying her an inexpensive mattress that has plastic covering on it. She's been dry twice this week. If it becomes a pattern, I'll go buy it. There's a mattress place right down the street....

No comments: