Thursday, May 26, 2011

Surprise!

When I got out of bed at 5:30 this morning, the hall light was on and the washing machine was running. I was pleasantly surprised.

The bathtub and Daughter's towel were wet, and the bathmat had been returned to it's proper place. I was amazed.

Daughter was in the family room watching a show on her computer. This didn't surprise me.

I got dressed and got to work, making lunch, iced tea, sugar free punch, and various other tasks. I finally told Daughter she had to turn off her computer and come to breakfast. She immediately said, "Yes, Mom," and turned it off. Another nice surprise.

Then she vanished into her bedroom. I continued what I was doing and waited several minutes before I realized she wasn't coming right to breakfast. This was more in keeping with her behavior or late.

I called her again. Her response was immediate, "I'm doing my hair." Sigh. She often decides to experiment with new styles, meaning it can take her over an hour to do her hair.

I told her she needed to come immediately if she wanted breakfast, and she did. Another nice surprise.

The final surprises of the morning: she anticipated my need for an umbrella, and reached around to grab one out of the backseat as we approached the church. Then, she asked if she could help me carry things into the church. Since I had my purse, briefcase, lunch, umbrella, and two cups of iced tea, I gratefully asked her to carry one cup of iced tea, and she did. Today got off to a much better start.

1 comment:

Heather said...

So glad you got a good day with Daughter this morning. Amazing how that first encounter can affect your mood all day!

Sometimes I just have to shake my head at the things we see as little victories, that most people take for granted as "normal" behavior. I see so much of my daughter in yours!