Sunday, May 1, 2011

A Walk in the Woods






















































































This afternoon Daughter and I went to the park where the saint takes Daughter to walk on Saturday mornings. It is one mile from my home. We walked through woods along a river. I saw wildflowers. I heard birds. I saw lots of people playing Frisbee golf.... It was hard to believe we were just a mile from home. I could hear traffic, but that was okay. It was wonderful! The trail was very nice, though part of it was underwater. I'm sure we walked well over a mile today. There is another park in our community that is a little further away that is not developed-- no Frisbee golf or playground equipment. It has 4.5 miles of trails. We'll have to explore that one, too. I told Daughter that I think a walk in the woods is going to become a Sunday afternoon tradition. She was delighted that she was able to show me the trail she's been walking every Saturday. She pointed out favorite trees and rocks to me, and was quite disappointed that we didn't run into any snakes. You can see the forsythia blooming, and the trees are beginning to bud. In another week or so they should have leaves. The temperature got up to 71 today-- it truly was a beautiful day.





After the park we went to the grocery store, and then I cooked hamburgers on the grill. The first hamburgers of the season are always the best. We brought the grill, table, and chairs around and put them on the back patio. It was so pleasant. In Tiny Village, we couldn't eat outside because of all the flies (the result of the large hog and turkey operations near us). We enjoyed eating outside. I could hear the birds singing, and watch the finches that were coming to our feeder right around the corner of the house. I'm going to get a hummingbird feeder to put out, too. I'm loving the variety of birds we can see right in our own backyard.



I'm going to be able to get my nature fix on a regular basis even if we don't get to go camping this year!

No comments: