Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Here and Now

When we were in Tiny Village, Therapist would occasionally get frustrated with me. Daughter would have had a rage, and she'd wonder what had set her off. I usually couldn't remember. A survival skill I've learned when dealing with Daughter is to move on quickly and not dwell on the past. So tonight I started reading Here and Now by Henri Nouwen. He's one of my favorite devotional writers, and I was somewhat surprised to discover I didn't already own this book. "We are constantly distracted by things that have happened in the past or that might happen in the future." Today has been a pretty good day with Daughter. I have been stressing, though, about the future and finding (and funding) an appropriate residential placement for her. I need to let go of that distraction and focus on the present. The present reality is that Daughter was helpful with household chores this evening. Just like with the call to Capital, the we will find the right place at the right time for Daughter. Worrying about when and where is nothing more than a distraction that takes energy away from what's important: the present.

No comments: