Monday, May 16, 2011

Explanations

Daughter was dry again this morning, and ready on time to go out the door. She had wet the bed almost every night for r months. I caught flack from others who insisted she must have a medical problem, but I was sure there was an emotional cause, and that she'd stop when she was ready. There were times when I doubted myself, but for the most part I remained strong in that belief. On the way to the church, she was talking about how happy she is about how well she's been doing. She talked about the money we're saving on laundry costs since she stopped wetting the bed. I asked her if she knew what made the difference. She talked about a number of things, but some of her more significant comments included:

"I always knew I could do it, but I kept telling myself I couldn't."

"People had faith."

"I decided if other people weren't giving up on me, I shouldn't give up on myself."

How many of our kids give up on themselves? How many times do parents/the system/whatever give up on kids? Food for thought on a Monday morning.

No comments: