Tuesday, May 17, 2011

The Realities of Ministry

I had someone having surgery this morning. He wanted me there, so I went to see him before surgery. Another member had picked him up and taken him to the facility-- he had to be there at 6:30 for 8:00 surgery. I got there about 7:00, Daughter in tow. I intended to have a prayer with him in pre-op and then head to the office. I was fairly confident that I could make it into the office by 9:00.

When I arrived at 7:00, he was still in the waiting area. He was delighted to see me. They didn't call him back until 7:40, and then they took him straight to the OR. It was almost 11:00 before I got to the church. Daughter was patient while we were there, but was not happy with the disruption to her routine. I was not happy about losing the morning in the office.

However, it was time very well spent. The man who had surgery was thrilled when I came back to post-op to see him and have a prayer with him. I gained insight into his challenges and into the family of the woman who drove him from the time I spent listening to her while he was in surgery. It wasn't the ministry I planned to do this morning, but it was important ministry and I'm glad I could be there with them.

No comments: