Friday, April 29, 2011

A Different Perspective

I got up a little early this morning so I could watch the wedding. As I watched it, my focus was a little different, perhaps, than most. I was looking at the elements of the service and liturgy. It's an occupational hazard, it's hard to just it and worship without critiquing it. So I sat here comparing the wedding to what I do in weddings. Mine are quite different, not just in size and scope, but in the elements of the service. Brides are not property to be given away, so while fathers walk brides up the aisle, they are not asked to give them away. I do, however, ask the family to pledge their support.

In the services I do, Scripture and reflections come before the vows. Scripture is the foundation and sets the stage for what follows. The promises and vows are a response to what God has done. Daughter slept through it all, of course. I told her about it last night, but she has been to far too many wedding in which she had no interest-- as a preacher's kid weddings have lost their magic for her.

But I'm not a total cynic-- I thought Kate's dress was beautiful, and I hope and pray that they will be able to overcome the pressures and expectations on them to build a happy life together.

No comments: