Thursday, April 21, 2011

An Almost Silent Morning

Daughter watched this morning as I took care of the trash she refused to take care of last night. We didn't speak until it was almost time for her to go downstairs. She said, "I get to go to the movies today."

"I'm glad you get to have fun."

"You think I want to have fun?" (shouted, of course.) She then went into a rant about how she wanted to be working and earning money. It's all my fault, of course. That's why I didn't initiate any conversations with her this morning. I knew that anything I said would be an excuse to go off on me. When she told me she was going to the movies, it was a no win for me. If I remained silent, she would have gone into a rant about how I don't care. There was no response I could give or not give that would not have given her an excuse to yell at me. Sigh.

It was hard, remaining silent, especially when I discovered she had slept on the floor of her room last night. I don't know if she soaked the carpet or not. I don't want to know. When/if she moves out I may find myself replacing not only the carpet, but the sub floor. She knows why I don't want her sleeping on the floor (who wants to sleep on the floor when they have a bed?), so any comment on my part will just further provoke her. I simply can't win with her at this point. She will find an excuse to yell at me.

No comments: