Sunday, March 6, 2011

Jealousy

I cancelled my Thursday evening appointments this week because of Daughter's illness. So I had to figure out another way to accomplish those tasks. The work of one of the appointments was done by email. The couple that I am doing premarital counseling with got rescheduled for this evening (the wedding is rapidly approaching, and they had some pretty big issues they wanted to address). I decided that rather that drag Daughter back to the church while I met with them, I'd have them come here to the house. I met with them in the living room (which we seldom use). Daughter chose to retreat to the basement to watch her TV.
.
We went to lunch when I finished at church (and I had to stay late to finish the work of the other cancelled appointment), then when we got home I sat down and she leaned against me and fell asleep. We did some cleaning in the kitchen, and the couple showed up. Daughter was very jealous. She was furious when they left. She was suffering and needed to go to the doctor immediately. But she wouldn't tell me why. I told her I wouldn't take her if I didn't know what was wrong. Her back and stomach were bothering her. I offered her the meds they prescribed for those issues in the ER the other night. She didn't want those. Those wouldn't work. She screamed and hollered. It's Sunday, and I'm exhausted. It's been a long day. I have a headache.
.
I told her I realized she wasn't happy about them coming to the house. She shouted some more. I explained to her why I had to meet with them tonight and why I had them come to the house. She shouted that I shouldn't change plans because of her. I told her I was sorry if she didn't like the way I'd handled things, but I had made the plans with her in mind. Eventually she apologized. Sat next to me on the couch, and wrapped herself around my arm.
.
I honestly don't know if she's feeling better or not. I know she's still tired, but is she really having back (kidney) pain and stomach issues? I don't think those are real. I think she knows those are symptoms of her illness and is using them as she seeks attention. Of course, I could be wrong. I hope I'm not wrong, but it is definitely a possibility. I do know I have a headache, and I'm tired of being yelled at and accused of all sorts of things because she's jealous of my work. Especially on a day when I've made it a point to give her lots of attention. Some days it feels like I just can't win.

2 comments:

Miz Kizzle said...

I lost a kidney in 1982 due to disease. It may relieve your mind to know that the type of back pain associated with kidney trouble is sharp and intense and it increases in intensity if nothing is done to relieve it. A person suffering from kidney pain wouldn't be lively enough to argue and pitch a tantrum the way your DD did and then go to sleep.

Reverend Mom said...

Thanks. That's helpful. I know she's improving-- this morning she was energetic and happy. She even said her back didn't hurt anymore. If she starts complaining of pain this afternoon/evening, I'll know she's seeking attention.