Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Spiritual Growth

One of the priorities that was stated when I came here was for spiritual growth. We've been doing a study on Wednesdays during Lent. At times it has been discouraging, as I'm not sure how much they're getting out of it. Tonight attendance was down, and it was discouraging to think I was losing the group. Then two of the women talked about making use of the breath prayers we had discussed last week, and how they had helped them through some challenges. Then one of the men talked about how he'd gotten a flat tire on a particularly busy section of the interstate on Saturday. He was being quite descriptive as he told us of the challenges. Then he told us what happened when the tire was fixed and back on the car. "(Wife) said to me, 'You stayed calm.' Something like this used to cause me to get so frustrated I'd explode. I didn't this time. I stayed calm. I've been doing some of the things we've talked about. It's making a difference." That's what I call spiritual growth. I guess I won't worry about the lower number tonight.

2 comments:

Heather said...

I'm glad to hear that the ideas you're presenting in worship are having a positive effect.

I wouldn't worry about the lower attendance. I know in our church the Wed. night attendance drops as we get farther into Lent - probably because the energy of Ash Wednesday has worn off and the Wednesday service gets pushed down the priority list. Also, I know many families are on spring break right now around here - that might be the case in your area too.

Reverend Mom said...

Thanks, Heather. We have a number of people in Florida right now. This is a good winter for Florida. We have snow in the forecast for tonight.