Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Long Day Leading into a Longer One

Administrative Assistant is on her way to a funeral in another state. Tonight we were hosting several area churches for a Shrove Tuesday dinner. At noon I was hosting my colleagues for a support group. This morning one of the saints came in, obviously shaken. She had just had a phone call about a suicide. The young man was the son of some people who had left the church several years back in the midst of one of the conflicts this church has had. They had adopted him. She didn't think they were going to any church. She also wanted me to know that there were several families in the church who had lost sons to suicide, and wanted me to know that this would be hard for them. We sat and talked for quite a while. I encouraged her to reach out to the parents.
.
Daughter made it through the day without calling or texting me. She knew I would be tied up in a meeting this afternoon. Her group drove by a horrific accident that had just happened this afternoon. Apparently it bothered her a great deal, but she didn't call me or come looking for me. She had an appointment with her therapist. I knew the interstate where the accident had taken place was closed, so I went a different route-- right into the traffic jam that resulted from them moving all the traffic off that interstate. We were late. I called to want her therapist that we were caught in traffic. Daughter "couldn't stay awake" so was with her less than 30 minutes.
.
She was frustrated with me, because I bought paczki yesterday for the luncheon today. She wanted one. I locked them in the car last night and in the kitchen today. When she came up from her program, she told me she needed a snack. I informed her she couldn't have a paczki yet. When we got back from seeing her therapist, she again requested a snack. I offered her some chips. She pouted in my office until I went to tell her dinner was being served.
.
The saint who had come in this morning to tell me of the suicide came into the dinner with a phone number. The parents of the dead man wanted to talk to me. I called them. They have a friend doing the service, but want to have the meal at the church. They also want to talk to me. "We want to come home to our church family."
.
I had promised Daughter we'd be home tomorrow evening. Instead I'm going to go visit this couple and the saint is going to come stay with Daughter. I suspect that tomorrow will be even longer than today, and more exhausting.
.
On our way home from church this evening, Daughter was quite dramatic about how she was suffering from physical pain. I suspect she is suffering from emotional pain, and frustrated with my busy-ness. I made it a point to hold her hand on the way back to the church from her therapist. Sometimes she just craves that physical contact. I've told her about the plans for tomorrow evening. She's not thrilled, obviously, but she'll survive. After choir Thursday, I will have had 5 nights in a row with church responsibilities. Hopefully next week will be a little quieter.

No comments: