Friday, March 11, 2011

Going to Bed Mad


So we had some paczki left from Tuesday that I had placed in the freezer. Wednesday night I gave her half of one for dessert after supper. Last night after supper we had some yogurt parfaits she had requested when we were at the grocery store yesterday afternoon. At bedtime, she asked about having paczki. I told her no, explaining that I was trying to get her insulin adjusted, and needed to know exactly how many carbs she was eating, and I had no idea of the carbs in a paczki. She decided to have ginger snaps.


Over an hour later I was getting ready for bed and locking up the kitchen. I opened the freezer. The paczki were gone. I stormed into her room, demanding to know where they were. The remains were under her bed. She'd eaten 2 1/2. That was probably well over 100 grams of carb. It took me a while to go to sleep, I was so angry. How am I supposed to keep her safe when she's working against me? How am I ever going to figure out her insulin? I was in the room when she sneaked those paczki out.


Today she's going to her program, and I'm going to go shopping and to lunch with Sister Best Friend. I am looking forward to time away from her relaxing. I need it.

2 comments:

Miz Kizzle said...

It is impossible to "keep her safe" if she is working against you. You're doing your best for her but her well being is ultimately up to her. I can certainly understand why you're angry.

Reverend Mom said...

You're right, of course. I've always believed (and told Daughter) that my job is to keep her safe. Daughter will tell you that her safety is my number one priority. That may have been part of her motivation-- would I still keep her safe in the midst of a very busy week?