Wednesday, November 11, 2009

14 Hours

Daughter slept 14 hours last night. She seems to be improving, but I'm no longer optimistic that she'll be able to return to the workshop tomorrow. She hasn't been especially demanding or difficult, but even so, I'm very much aware of how much I need her to go to the workshop daily. I need that break from her. I need that time with her gone and someone else responsible for her safety.
.
The need to keep her safe from herself adds to the stress of having her home. There are 4 locked areas: a file cabinet with most of the meds, a money box with the weekly meds, a money box in the refrigerator with all the extra insulin, and a larger box with a combination lock that holds the knives and the insulin pouch and keys over night. During the day, I need to make sure the insulin pouch and keys are with me all the time (at least when she's home).
.
It's a relatively small thing, but it gets exhausting. All knives have to be washed and returned to the lock box immediately. I have to watch her swallow her pills and inject the insulin I draw up. I need to measure out her food and make sure she is wandering by the refrigerator between authorized meals. I had thought she was becoming more trustworthy in the food department, but have discovered missing food in the last 2 days. I love her dearly, and having her with me 24 hours a day is wearing me out. I will be very grateful when she is healthy enough to go back to the workshop.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Prayers for your continued journey as a mom...

Reverend Mom said...

Thanks.

maeve said...

I think of you every day. You're a saint and your place in the afterlife is guaranteed. I know how much you hate to hear this, but it's true if the afterlife is true.

Reverend Mom said...

Maeve-- the afterlife is true and I'm guaranteed a place not because of anything I did but because of what Jesus did. And I'm not the one who is learning a new skill after most have retired so I can keep my granddaughter in an expensive private school that is helping her overcome a rough beginning. Oh, and thanks for your kind words and good thoughts. ;)