Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Incredibly Stupid

Daughter called last night very happy. She was pleased with the picture menu they had made for her lunch. She said it was on the refrigerator door. She saw it as a sign that they were going to get things fixed. It worked, sort of. The lunches are supposed to be made by the afternoon shift and checked by the morning shift. It states there are to be no substitutions.
.
The morning staff checked her lunch, and found that instead of a sandwich, snack pack and/or fruit, they had packed a lunchable, chips, and a regular yogurt. It worked in that morning staff fixed it. I'm trying to comprehend what would prompt the afternoon staff to completely ignore the picture menu. The only explanation I have come up with is that they are incredibly stupid.
.
I never heard from Case Manager yesterday about my request to have Daughter moved. I suspect that means she wasn't in yesterday. I was pondering whether I need to give them more time as I heard of concrete steps being taken yesterday, but if staff doesn't even follow a picture menu, I'm wondering if there really is hope. All it takes is one staff member refusing to be responsible to endanger the lives of the residents. I wonder if it will be any better at another home. There are no guarantees, that's for sure.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

This must be so frustrating! And scary: if daughter has a full-blown reaction to the low-med/high-carb issue, the stability she has achieved so far could be entirely jeopardized. I've worked in ARC homes, and recall the teamwork challenges: various attitudes, changing days and shifts, etc. And we were not dealing with medical complexities. Lifting up daughter and you today: asking for clarity, wisdom, and safety. R in SL

Reverend Mom said...

Thanks. A colleague and I wrote a devotional guide for Lent. This week we're reflecting on the story of Noah. I wrote the questions for reflection for today: "The ark carried those on through the flood to a new beginning with new opportunities before them. Are there storms in your life right now that you need God to carry you through? What new beginnings and/or opportunities are you seeking right now?" I thought it was very timely.

Anonymous said...

Any chance I can get a copy of your devotional guide? Just 2 days ago our family decided to pursue adoption again, which I think qualifies as a new storm of opportunity! -- Rachel in SL

Reverend Mom said...

Send me your email address and I'll email you a copy of it. I'm glad to share.