Thursday, February 23, 2012

Deep Sigh

Last night Daughter informed me she was out of lithium, but it was okay because staff was taking care of it. She called and woke me up sometime after 11:00 p.m. to ask some minor question that I don't even remember. She said she couldn't sleep. She called again this morning, still very much up and perky.
.
I suddenly realized that she is manic. Then I realized that she would be coming to spend the night with me tonight without her lithium. Then I realized we are expecting between 6 and 10 inches of snow tonight and she could get snowed in here with me with no lithium.
.
I emailed, then texted, and the home delivered her lithium to the church. I'm done being nice and accomodating them. They said I could come pick up the lithium, and I informed them I didn't have time to do that today. So they delivered it. When I got home I looked through her med box. Last week I had pointed out they were only giving her half of one of her seizure medications (which also apparently serves as a mood stabalizer for her). We put the second card in her box, and supposedly they were going to make sure she got both of them. So I examined the cards tonight. Three nights this past week she only received one of the pills instead of two of them. I am getting very frustrated with this. Very frustrated. Daughter complained that she'd been irritated all day, and she didn't know why. I suspect it might have something to do with the fact she's not getting the medication she needs. In the email I sent this evening, I wondered what mistakes were being made iwith the meds of the women who don't have family members checking on them. It will be interesting to see what response I receive tomorrow.

2 comments:

I need a nap said...

How is it possible for anyone that can read even just a little to make so many mistakes over and over? I mean, are they hiring grade 2'ers there that are still learning how to figure out a graph? On Monday, 2 pills at suppertime with food. Really? How can it be this hard? I know reading her sugar levels etc are a little more complicated, but that is not even what they are messing up! (and I'm sure there is a handy dandy formula for them to sort even that out!) Heaven help us all when it is time for us to step into a retirement home if this is the staff that is out there. Scary. You are doing a good job of holding on to your temper, but I'd be thinking about contacting the media...this has become a 3 ring circus! All the best to you!

Reverend Mom said...

I keep wondering how they can keep doing this, too. I'm told the media won't be interested until someone dies. The state licensing board will be interested before that.