Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Productive Day

Yesterday afternoon Administrative Assistant and I were thinking we would be in the office two days next week. This afternoon we left confident we would only have to work one. Administrative Assistant is tweaking the newsletter while she waits for one more bit of information.

I figured out Christmas Day, New Year's Day and the memorial service. I led the noon prayer service and met with the daughter and son-in-law of the woman who died. We are very grateful for such a productive day.

Daughter didn't call, though I had a couple of emails. The House Manager at her group home has been told by her doctor she can only work half days. I think it is going to be a challenge for her to establish her authority in the midst of the dysfunction among the staff at the home if she's only working half a day, so I suspect we will be looking at another management change....

I stopped at the grocery store on the way home and picked up some items for Christmas and for the supper Daughter requested tomorrow night. Traffic was not fun. The main commercial strip is between my home and the church. This time of year I often have to sit through several signal lights because of the traffic.

I brought home some work to do this evening, including an initial proof read of the newsletter. Administrative Assistant and I will read it through several times, and may recruit someone else to read it, too.

For now, though, I'm going to relax for a while.

2 comments:

Miz Kizzle said...

We need to do better by our disabled and elderly population.
The reason the employees at your DD's group home keep quitting/fail to do their jobs corredtly is because the work is HARD, the clients can drive a saint to drink and the pay is a joke.
It's easier to quit and go work at a fast-food place.
Until staff members at group homes, elder care facilities and day programs are better paid with a decent benefit package and held to a high standard of professionalism the high turnover, carelessness and frequent absenteeism is going to continue.

Reverend Mom said...

I agree. They do hard work for very little pay/recognition.