Thursday, December 29, 2011

Christmas Meltdowns

Yesterday I hosted the family Christmas. It was an interesting day. 4 of my 7 guests had meltdowns. I told Far Away Sister that Daughter had trained me well, and the meltdowns didn't prevent me from having fun.
.
Sister and Short Niece moved this fall. Sister's husband announced he wanted a divorce one week before she found out she was pregnant. They tried to work it out, and then Sister stuck around while they tried to work out something on the house. Finally they decided to walk away from it. They are badly underwater on it. So Short Niece has never known anything but living with divorced parents. She is struggling with adjusting to the reality of going between two parents. She has always been the youngest and thus the center of attention at family gatherings. She has been displaced by Baby Nephew. She was having a hard time yesterday, and had several meltdowns, which prompted Sister to meltdown. Sister has, at the urging of Far Away Sister and me, found a therapist for Short Niece. Hopefully that will help her deal with all that is going on in her life.
.
Daughter actually did better than either of them, though it was hard on her to have all the people and chaos here, but she did have some mild meltdowns. She removed herself several times, but after Sister and Short Niece left, she came and watched us play cards and then watched TV.
.
Baby Nephew is only 9 months old, so I guess it's to be expected that he had a meltdown. He also took two naps in my arms. Short Niece dropped him (no injuries, fortunately), so I think he had the best excuse for a meltdown. He is actually a very laid back, good natured baby. I ended up feeding Brother twice, since they were here 8 hours.
.
I enjoyed myself. Thanks to Daughter, I can avoid getting sucked into the drama. I'm sorry Sister and Short Niece were having a hard time, but it's not my problem or responsibility. I'm sure I'll hear from Sister today, and she'll be angry with other family members. Short Niece goes back to spend more time with her Dad, which will be hard on Sister.
.
I have a funeral this morning, and then I'm taking Daughter shopping this afternoon. I realized this morning that I failed to lock the refrigerator and guest room last night. I was exhausted and didn't feel good. It will be interesting to see what her blood sugar is this morning....

No comments: