Tuesday, September 27, 2011

70%

When I came to Capital, there were a significant number of votes against calling me in the congregational meeting. Last night we removed a member from membership at her request. While she wouldn't tell me this, she made it clear to others that she is opposed to women in ministry. In fact, she wouldn't even talk to me. She wouldn't answer my calls or respond to my messages. I finally wrote her a note. She left a message on my voicemail at the church in the middle of the night informing me that any conversation would be a complete waste of time.

I was distressed about her departure, but then I realized two things. Several people left the church before I even started, but 70% of those who voted no are still involved in the church. It helped, too, that Sunday a man who had left the church years ago was here. I had visited with him after a tragic death in his family. We had a board meeting last night, and it was very positive, even as we dealt with the woman's request to be removed from membership. I had outlined what I had done when I heard she wanted to leave, and how she had responded. They had no problems with how I responded. I have to keep reminding myself that I can offer, but I can't force anyone to talk to me or take my advice, including Daughter.

She got her cell phone back yesterday, and spent much of today texting and calling me trying to convince me that I had to come get her immediately. Of course it didn't work, but it was very disruptive to my day. I think that the phone will stay home tomorrow.

I have a personnel meeting tonight, and wasn't thrilled about having Daughter hanging out here during the meeting. One of the saints called this afternoon and asked if she could take Daughter to a movie tonight. Problem solved. Daughter's happy, and so am I.

No comments: