Sunday, February 14, 2010

Sunday Morning

Today was one of those days when I was reminded how blessed I am to be serving God in ministry. People come early here to speak to the pastor, because years ago the pastor left immediately after worship to go preach in another church. So, this morning before worship I met the Daughter of one of our newer members. She's visiting from a distant state. I talked to a man who has been interviewing for a new job that would give him more responsibility and better hours. He should have a final answer this week. I welcomed home a woman who just returned from a month with her daughter. While she was away, her son needed bypass surgery. She called me asking for prayers for him. She was so happy as she reported that he was recovering well and told her he's feeling much better now.
.
I talked to a woman who brought her son home from prison this week. He was diagnosed with hep c while he was in prison. He has no insurance. She's disabled. Because he lives with a parent and their household income is over $300 a month, he's not eligible for medicaid. She's worried about how he will be able to get the treatment he needs. I spoke with a mother who finally convinced her uninsured daughter to go to urgent care this week for antibiotics after she'd been sick for over a week. I suggested a clinic in Town that takes people without medical coverage. I talked to a woman whose son-in-law committed suicide several weeks ago. She had a thank you note from her daughter, and asked me where she could get a copy of the book I had given her daughter. Her daughter has found it to be very helpful, and she wanted one to read. I told her I had another copy of the book in my study, and to see me after worship and I'd give it to her.
.
I led worship, and the junior choir sang today and did a great job. It was wonderful to see our young children so excited about singing about God's love. This morning we celebrated Christ's Transfiguration, and I talked about recovering our sense of awe at the immensity and power of God. Following worship a woman tracked me down to share a story about her mother, and how God had worked through her. I love it when people take the sermon and make connections with their own lives. I delivered the book to the grieving mother-in-law and talked a little more with her about her grief and how the family is coping. I reassured a woman who is being tested for sleep apnea. I talked with a family about setting up baptism for their daughter.
.
Then I worked with a couple of people on our Ash Wednesday service. I had a conversation with a woman who was back after missing several weeks. I had smiled when the family came in, because it was obvious their youngest son, who is a hand full, had not had a good morning. I shared my observation, and we spoke briefly about the joys of parenting. I spoke with a man who works in protective services, and wanted to know if it was okay if he brought in information about becoming a foster parent. We talked briefly about the brokenness of the system.
.
These are just a few of the encounters and conversations I had this morning. I came home grateful for the privilege of serving these people as their pastor. Daughter and I went to Town. After a fast food lunch, we went to see the movie The Tooth Fairy. She wanted to see Dear John, but I wasn't ready for an emotional movie, so we went to a fun one. Since we've been home, I've cleaned the kitchen and made a french toast strata for tomorrow's breakfast. Now, I'm relaxing in front of the TV watching the Olympics. I think Daughter is taking a nap. It's been a good day, and I'm looking forward to a good week.

2 comments:

Linda said...

This sounds like a beautiful day to me! I'm glad you get to have these kind of days to balance the tough ones-

Reverend Mom said...

So am I!