Saturday, February 20, 2010

Do Over

Daughter came downstairs this morning and said we had to go to town today. When I asked why, she informed me she wanted to get stuff to make BLT's. I told her that the tomatoes we could get at this time of year weren't good for BLT's. Then she began spinning a tale of how sick she was-- she was literally burning up inside, and talked about how many people had been coming to the workshop sick.
.
I pointed out that she'd gone from healthy enough to go to town to dying in very short order. I suggested that she was like the little boy who cried wolf, and that maybe the issue was she wanted some attention from me. She acknowledged I might have a point. I told her to go back upstairs and think about how she wanted to begin her day, then come back down and start over again. She didn't like that idea at all, of course, but I wouldn't engage her further, so she disappeared upstairs.
.
She came back down, and we decided she'd come up with a plan and we'd negotiate how we'd handle the day. She is working now. When she completes 4 tasks, she gets to watch 30 minutes of TV. After completing an additional 2, we'll go to the grocery store. She's working on the 4th task right now.
.
I received a packet of information about the church and community I've been talking to yesterday. It's a small town, but has much more to offer culturally than Tiny Village and even Town have. There are all kinds of art and music lessons available at an arts center. I was deciding which ones I'd want to take.
.
Therapist told me that the man who called her for the reference check was quite excited about the resources that would be available for Daughter in their community. I'm cautiously excited, but there have been too many disappointments to start packing yet. I know that God will provide the right place at the right time.
.
I think I'm looking forward to a fresh start as much as Daughter is. Even though I know this may not come through, I'm finding it harder to stay engaged here in Tiny Village. I think I need an attitude adjustment. Maybe that clergy women's retreat will provide just that.

No comments: