Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Identifying the Triggers

Therapist did her job and helped Daughter identify the triggers for her latest round of acting out. In addition to the drama at the workshop, there were three things that set her off: on the 31st we worked on inventorying my parents' treasures that were stored in Brother's attic. On February 4th I had carpal tunnel surgery. On February 8th I turned 52. Her conclusion: I'm going to die. Therapist reassured her that I'm not going to die anytime soon. She said statistically each generation lives 10 years longer, so I'll be around for a long time yet. She got a promise out of Daughter not to hurt herself. She wants to see Daughter again Thursday evening. If we're still snowed in, she'll check in with Daughter via the phone.
.
Therapist also confirmed what I has suspected: Daughter is not sleeping well at night. I started her back on the trazadone last night. Hopefully with more sleep and the reassurance that I'm not going to die anytime soon, she will improve. I don't think I'll tell her that I feel like I'm developing the stomach flu.
.
We are now supposed to get 8-12 inches of snow. The majority of the school districts have announced they will be closed today. A few of the more optimistic ones are on 2 hour delays. The snow just began, do they really think the roads will be better in 2 hours? I've been awake since 4:00. I finally gave up trying to get back to sleep at 5:00. It looks like it's going to be a long day.

3 comments:

TobyBo said...

sorry you had a rough birthday, and even sorrier to hear you think the stomach flu is making the rounds at your place. Hope all is soon well.

Adelaide Dupont said...

I would not be assured even if an actuary said this (about the generations living 10 years longer).

Heavy triggers, all three.

And we think, sometimes, that it is 'the drama at the workshop'!

Reverend Mom said...

TobyBo,
Thanks. I'm feeling better, but Daughter is complaining of stomach issues. Another day stuck at home tomorrow. Joy, joy.

Adelaide,
I don't think I'll live until 90. I don't know that I want to live until 90. I think it's very possible that I'll outlive Daughter. But we won't get into that....