Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Consequences

Daughter came down this morning with a cheery, "Good morning!" I asked if she'd wet the bed last night.
.
"No, Ma'am."
.
"I will go check."
.
She looked away.
.
"Go bring your wet things down and put them in the washing machine and get in the shower."
.
First outburst of the day. It was her life and she didn't care she wasn't going to do it.
.
She did. She came down and told me she'd plugged the toilet. Yesterday she indicated she wasn't having any issues with constipation. Fortunately, I anticipated this and started her back on miralax last night. I don't know how I'd gotten out of the habit of giving it to her. Last week's snow just threw my whole routine off. Anyway, with her back on it hopefully I'll be done with the plunger for a while after I get the upstairs toilet cleared.
.
She has yet to apologize for stealing the money from me. I decided she needed to experience some pain, so I told her to bring me her Nintendo DS and her portable DVD player. That prompted screams of outrage and earned me some colorful names. I informed her stealing had consequences, and that eventually she could earn them back. She still doesn't get it. I told her she had a lot to make up to me, and she would begin by putting all the clean dishes away. She has been refusing to do her jobs. Now I'm sitting here in the kitchen supervising while she puts them away. I've realized that I need to keep her on a very short leash right now, so she will be in her room or where I can see her when she's home. She won't like that, and I'll like it even less. Right now, the workshop is on still delayed an hour. Closings are beginning to be posted south of us. I hope the closing stay south.
.
Daughter has informed me that Therapist is arranging things and she's leaving things because she doesn't have to put up with me. I told her it would be nice not to have to lock everything up. Have I mentioned that I need the workshop to be open today?

2 comments:

Miz Kizzle said...

I hope the workshop is open today. You need some time alone.
I'm amazed the she had the nerve to watch you unload groceries and not offer to help, especially after you recently had carpal tunnel surgery.
Our two boys sometimes have to be ordered to help me unload groceries and lift heavy things for me. My husband thinks it has something to do with their being very worried about my possibly needing spinal surgery. In an odd way, they think that if they don't help me and I do the work myself, it means that I'm healthy and I don't need surgery. And these are two mentally healthy college students! At least they can be reasoned with and with a little urging they get back on track.
Possibly your daughter feels the same way.
I watch episodes of "The Specials" online about five mentally challenged young adults who share a house in England. They have live-in aides to help them when they need a little extra assistance. I really think your daughter would benefit from some kind of assisted living arrangement. The way things are going, it's not healthy for either one of you. I'm praying for things to improve.

Reverend Mom said...

The workshop closed. So did Secretary's school district, so we had her 4 teenage foster sons (she's a therapeutic foster parent) as well as Daughter. We sent them out to shovel snow, then put them to work folding bulletins. When I realized she would be with me today, I called and made an appointment with Therapist. We're headed there in a few minutes.
The goal is to get her into a supported living situation at some point, but it will have to be after we move. I don't want her living in a different state (at least most of the time I don't).
She is trying to turn it around, though she still hasn't apologized for the theft.
Thanks for the prayers-- things have improved some. I'll take any improvement I can get right now.