Wednesday, February 24, 2010

The Return of Routine

This was the 4th day in a row the bus was running on time for the workshop. Daughter chose to go to the workshop today rather than stay home to help with the senior luncheon, which surprised me. I think we are both grateful to see life becoming more predictable. The past two days have been wonderful days for me in ministry. Yesterday, after getting worship plans to Secretary for Wednesday and Sunday, I took communion two places. I had wonderful conversation with people in both settings. As I was leaving, one woman grabbed my hand and whispered, "I love you so much." I had arranged to take communion while she had family visiting from the other side of the country. It was a blessing to be able to share communion with them. I love her family, and because of funerals I've done have formed a connection with these people who live a very long way from here.
.
We had a number of new people attend our senior luncheon today, which was wonderful. With that group, we are continually losing people to nursing homes or death, so we're always pleased when someone new shows up. I had made ham loaf and cheesy potatoes. They loved the ham loaf, and want me to put the recipe in the newsletter. These folks like the basic comfort foods, and I suspect they don't make ham loaf at home. It was something they had requested when we asked for menu suggestions last fall. One of our people made cheese cakes, which were wonderful. I think everyone ate too much. I washed the dishes and then left as they were beginning to play white elephant bingo, something they always enjoy. One woman had explained to me that she was making a real sacrifice, and she really didn't consider what she'd brought to be a white elephant gift. I told her it looked to be the size of a box of chocolates. She grinned. I suggested that maybe she could win it back.
.
I always enjoy visiting with the seniors, and I think they were all hungry for the fellowship after several weeks of bad weather. It is snowing today, and I was afraid that might hurt our attendance, but they weren't going to let a little snow stop them today. I have 2 new names to add to our mailing list.. We send postcards out to announce the menu and program for the luncheons.
.
Tonight we have a Lenten supper and worship at the church. It will be another good evening of fellowship and worship with people I love. I love being a pastor, even when I have to write a newsletter, which is my project for the rest of the afternoon.

2 comments:

maeve said...

You amaze me. You manage to stay positive about the positive things in your life when Daughter is in the downhill mode.

I also can't help but think how smart she is in spite of the IQ score that says she's not.

You are my hero(ine).

Reverend Mom said...

You're embarrassing me, but thanks. My life is easy-- I only have one RAD kid, and I'm raising her at a time when there are resources available and people who understand what RAD is. You are the hero.