Friday, February 19, 2010

One More Time

I have repeatedly explained that Daughter's psychological issues are her biggest handicap, and what needs to be done to help her feel safe. Yesterday was not the first time that the staff member assigned to care for Daughter has not done the things necessary to keep Daughter safe. One came and claimed to have no knowledge of Daughter's diabetic needs. She was accompanying Daughter to a Special Olympics event. I was not happy, to say the least. I don't think she's employed by them anymore.

.

Anyway, I recognize that this retreat would be a wonderful gift for me, and that I need it. So, I sent this note to the woman who handles scheduling today, and also to her boss and Daughter's Case Manager. They have had some aides who have worked well with Daughter, but it has been very uneven. There is a liability issue for them, so I suspect that my note will prompt some scurrying and additional training for anyone who is going to be working with Daughter. At least I hope that is the case.

.

Supervisor,

.

I thought I was pretty clear that Daughter could not be left unsupervised in the kitchen. It was in the email, and I mentioned it to Aide a couple of times before I left last night. Daughter was alone in the kitchen, she got into food, and her blood sugar was 237 at bedtime, which is high. Beyond the damage the high blood sugars do to her body, there is an emotional issue.

.

Safety is Daughter's number one need. With any staff person she is going to test to see if this individual can be manipulated. She's going to test to see if the person will keep her safe, especially from herself. If the individual flunks the test, Lena will not feel safe, and she will begin to spiral out of control.

.

Not only did Daughter eat, she lied to Aide about having completed her chores, and Aide didn't check to see if she was being honest. One look at the bathroom when I got home showed that the sink, toilet, and floor had not been touched with any kind of cleaning product. She supposedly did the kitchen floor, but there was still dried mud on the floor.

.

I would very much like to attend a retreat for women pastors at the end of the month. I really could use the break. However, if staff comes in and allows Daughter to manipulate them, she will be back in her downward spiral, which often leads to her cutting herself. Even with the knives locked up, she figures out ways to hurt herself.

.

This is about Daughter having her psychological needs taken care of at all times. Her psychological issues are her biggest issues. She has to feel safe. She has to know who ever is with her is not going to allow her to manipulate them.

Now I'd like to get services for Sunday afternoon, February 28, (from about 1:00) through Tuesday morning, March 2 (until she gets on the bus). Is there staff available, and how do we assure that Lena gets the supervision she needs to keep her safe?

.

Thanks,

RM

.

Daughter came home spinning a tale about sexual harassment at the workshop. I told her what I thought was going on, and she acknowledged that she wasn't being completely honest. We then got down to the fact that she's feeling pretty bad about herself right now because of the choices she made last night. She thinks she's in the hole deeper than ever. I suggested she'd fallen back a couple of steps, but this time she knew how to stop it before she got in too deep. She's gone upstairs to take care of some of the things she needs to do-- at least I hope that's what she's doing. I found food in her bedroom again today, and I also discovered she'd lied to me about taking a shower this morning. She was definitely on her way back down. I just hope she is going to turn it around now....

No comments: