Friday, February 11, 2011

Friday

As we headed to the church this morning, Daughter was complaining. Her program is community involvement, so they have 2 vans and divide into 2 groups to go do things in the community. She said that staff kept bugging her to go with the group that delivers meals on wheels. She didn't want to do that, and wished they'd just leave her alone.
.
This morning they went to the library, then a little after 12 I got a text from Daughter. "I did meals on wheels for the first time and I love it!" I was amused. After meals on wheels, they went to an exercise class. Daughter is settling in and enjoying her program. I think that next week will be their last at the church. The new building (which was supposed to be done mid-November) will finally be ready the following week. When that happens, I will be able to stay completely away from the church on Friday.
.
This morning I went in and opened up, and then came home after Daughter went down for the program. I was there for longer when I went to pick her up. I met with one of the church officers. We were talking about the committee he's chairing. He's a little nervous about it. After we talked about agenda for the meeting, he began to talk in greater detail about his childhood. He was adopted out of an orphanage when he was a year old. His adoptive mother was very abusive. Very abusive. He told me his story, and then said, "I'm not proud of it." I looked at him. He's retired after a career in a skilled trade. He's been married to the same woman for over 40 years. He has 3 children and 8 grandchildren. He's an officer in the church. I told him he should be very proud of what he's made of his life after a very rough start and difficult childhood. I looked at him and what he was overcome, and pondered again why it is that some kids are able to overcome abusive backgrounds and some are not. I thanked him by honoring me by sharing his story with me.
.
My day off activities included a trip to the grocery store, making sloppy joes for the soup kitchen Saturday, and cooking for the freezer: 16 sausage biscuits and 10 servings of curry with rice and another 8 without rice. I also called to find out about the problems with Daughter's Medicaid. I'd been avoiding doing dealing with it since I went in to pick up her prescriptions and discovered that some of them were no longer covered. When we see the doctor, I'm going to have to ask her to fill out the paperwork to get prior authorization for some of the prescriptions.
.

No comments: