Thursday, February 10, 2011

A Blessing

One of the men who was on the committee that called me to serve here is frequently in the office because of his volunteer jobs here at the church. He often stops by my office to chat, sometimes informally, occasionally with an agenda. This morning he said he needed some time from me, and it was obvious he had an agenda. I invited him in and he settled himself in his normal chair. "What's on your mind?"
.
His answer surprised me. "You."
.
Seeing my confusion, he went on to elaborate. "You really have your hands full with Daughter right now. We're concerned about you. What can we do to help? Do we need to arrange to regularly do things with her to give you a break? What will help?"
.
He has a brother in an adult foster home. His mom felt guilty about placing him there, and kept him at home until she was about 60. He understands my situation. I told him I certainly hoped Daughter wasn't still with me when I'm 60. He said he definitely recommended she be out of the house long before then.
.
I assured him that some rest and time away had helped, and that I have an appointment about a possible respite possibility next Tuesday. I asked him to follow up with me after I know more about that. I told him he should encourage me to make time for myself, and that once I knew more about the respite situation, I could tell him more about what would be helpful.
.
Then he sealed the deal-- he isn't just concerned for my well-being. He's concerned for the church. As he left my study, he said, "We need you." I am exceptionally grateful today for God making me wait 4 years for a new position so I could come here to Capital.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your volunteer is right; you need a break from the struggle with your DD and eventually she needs to be in a new living situation, one that will challenge her and help her become more independent.