Wednesday, February 9, 2011

An Afternoon Away

I took myself out to lunch today, and sat reading the Essential Family Guide to Borderline Personality Disorder. I started it and was appreciating it, then I got busy and stopped reading it just as I got to the tools for family. I began that section today. Of course, the most important thing is to take care of myself according to the book. Having disengaged, I did make some decisions about how I'm going to change my approach to mornings.
  • I'm going to take my shower before bed, so I have more time in the morning.
  • I made and froze 6 pb&j sandwiches. Those are for lunch on those days when she doesn't get up-- I don't have time to do anything else when I have to spend so much time convincing her to get up.
  • After turning on the light and pulling off her covers, if she doesn't get up I am going to stand in her doorway and sing to her. I'll sing happy, chipper, upbeat, obnoxious songs until she gets up. I'll have fun doing it.

I recognize if this does work, it won't work for long, and in another week or so I'm going to need to come up with a new approach. I'll deal with that problem when it comes. For now, I no longer feel like she's holding me hostage in the mornings. Tune in tomorrow to hear the outcome.

When I got back to the church, I went to a great committee meeting. Lots of excitement and enthusiasm about some plans we are making. Tonight I get to go to another small group gathering where I will become better acquainted with some members. I continue to love ministry among these people.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

When my kids were younger and were reluctant to get up in the a.m. I'd turn on the overhead lights in their rooms, open a window if the weather was chilly and stand in the doorway and sing loudly. Two songs worked particularly well: "Good Morning Starshine" and "Alexander's Ragtime Band."
The perkier and more annoying the songs are, the better.

Heather said...

I, too, am a big fan of the perky morning song. When the kids complain, I remind them I won't stop singing until they are up and moving. Sometimes I just make up weird verses if I can't remember all the words. I also use the repetitive knocking pattern on the door, where I get to let my inner drummer shine.