Monday, December 1, 2008

Moving Forward

Yesterday I was exhausted most of the day. I'd been up late trying to fix Daughter's ipod (unsuccessfully) and finishing my sermon (successfully). The holiday with my family and dealing with my parents' needs had taken a toll on me. Daughter had an appointment with her diabetes doctor today, so I asked her for her meter so I could download her blood sugars. She said, "I need to tell you something." She had shaved 100 points off her morning blood sugar. Her blood sugar had been high because sometime during the night she'd eaten a whole bag of chocolate covered pecans that someone had given me for Christmas.
It was not a good way to start the day. I spent some time gathering the information for the doctor and then picked her up for her appointment. She apologized, and was obviously not very happy. The appointment was fine-- some more adjustments in her insulin, and we go back in 3 months. She needs lab work before the next appointment.
On the way home, she started sobbing. We talked about her fears for Granddad, and her fears for her own health. A major part of Dad's health problems is years of uncontrolled diabetes. I explained why her situation is different, and the improvements in diabetes care that will allow her to better manage her diabetes.
By the time we got home, she had decided to turn things around, and came in and got busy on her chores. I was pleased. She's watching TV right now, and then is going to help me in the kitchen. I want to bake some cookies tonight. I'll be locking them in the car so they won't tempt her. We also need to get some decorations on the tree.
Dad will be discharged to a nursing home, probably tomorrow. He got more blood overnight. They still don't know if he's losing blood someplace or not. Across the country Sister has gotten the hospital to issue a refund on his overpayment. There is nothing more I can do for them right now, other than call and chat daily.
It's time to move forward. It's time to leave behind the worries about my parents and the stress of their needs and focus on what I need to do here. I certainly have more than enough stress right here. I still don't know if I will have a secretary this week. Hopefully she will have recovered from the surgery for her detached retina and be back on Thursday. I have two worship services to plan for Sunday, and we have our senior luncheon on Wednesday (which is why I'm baking cookies tonight).
I'm glad that Daughter is moving forward, and will hopefully stay out of extra food now. She'd gained 8 pounds in the past month. I know she's a stress eater, and one of her new meds can increase appetite as well, but she still needs to do a better job of controlling her food.

No comments: