Thursday, December 11, 2008

Slow and Slower


Daughter has this amazing ability to move in slow motion. She's not trying to do it, she just is set at a slow rate. She's making chocolate covered pretzels tonight. She dips the pretzel in a small crock pot with melted chocolate in it and then places it on wax paper. I think it's taking her about a minute for each pretzel.


She was helping me brown some meat this weekend, and she was very slowly stirring the top. I showed her how to dig in under the bottom and turn it over, but she just wasn't comfortable doing that. When she's working on something, I try not to be around watching, because it drives me crazy.


When she was working in the cafeteria at the career center, they would encourage her to speed up. Any encouragement to speed up causes her to get stressed, start shaking, and move more slowly. It's one of the reasons she's not ready for community employment.


She came to me tonight asking to make chocolate chip cookies with Splenda and the chocolate covered pretzels. I told her one project was enough, and she could do the chocolate covered pretzels. She has a terrible time finishing projects, and sure enough, after less than 30 pretzels, she was asking me to take over. I told her she needed to work on it a while longer. I also pointed out that this was why I didn't want her taking on both projects tonight, since she has so much trouble completing things.


Dad is really improving since they got the fluid off his lungs. He's been working a couple of hours a day in PT and today received permission to walk a certain distance in the hall alone, so he was going out about every 15 minutes to walk the hall. He wants to be home for Christmas. I'm glad he's doing so much better. I had a phone interview tonight, and he's been talking about it all week. As soon as it was over I called him. The first words out of his mouth: "How was the interview?" I think it went well, but we'll have to see. Daughter is stressed about a possible move. I keep reminding her that the first place God called me made it possible for me to adopt her, and reminding her that Tiny Village has also been a good place to be. I assure her that God has another good place in mind for us.




No comments: