Tuesday, December 9, 2008

A Good Night's Sleep


This morning I woke up at 4:30 to go to the bathroom. Usually when I wake up at this time, I have no trouble going right back to sleep. This morning I couldn't go back to sleep, so I got up a little after 5:00. I realized part of the reason I couldn't fall back to sleep was that I was well rested. I got to bed at a reasonable time, and Daughter didn't need to wake me up through the night. Saturday night, she woke me up because I'd tied her head wrap too tight. Sunday night, she woke me up when her blood sugar dropped into the 40's. Last night, she slept through the night.


She's been sleeping on the floor beside my bed since she started having all of these low blood sugars. She wanted to sleep in my bed with me, but I wouldn't let her. I know she's anxious when she's having these lows. I sleep better, too, knowing she's on the floor next to me. I figure that makes it more likely I'll hear her and wake up if her blood sugar drops and she has a seizure. I reduced her Lantus last night, and that seems to have helped. She was low at bedtime last night, so after some juice she had a bigger than normal snack. This morning her blood sugar is 136, which is a little higher than I'd like for morning, but I'm not going to complain. She was up before the alarm, too.


Hopefully it will be a better day for both of us and her blood sugars will continue to be in range. The mothers' club is providing pizza for lunch at the workshop today. I'll send them in nutrition information from Pizza Hut, and they'll have to calculate the carbs and insulin for her lunch. Maybe she'll be able to ride the bus home today. The workshop is 12 miles from here, so it would be wonderful if I didn't have to go get her.


I'll have a busy morning in the office. I need to get busy writing articles for the January newsletter. We need to have it done early this month, as Secretary is leaving on vacation December 19. It's amazing how much more manageable the day seems after a good night's sleep!

No comments: