Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Cell Phones


Yesterday evening Sister went to visit Dad and figure out why his cell phone was going straight to voice mail (which wasn't set up). He couldn't figure out how to plug the charger into it, so the battery was dead. Faraway Sister had asked Sister to set up his voice mail, so Sister did. She put a message on it that said, "You have reached _____ cell phone. At the tone, leave a message, and if he can remember how to retrieve it, he'll call you back." He thought it was funny. Sister called and left him a message, and he was able to retrieve it with her there. We'll see how he does when she's not there coaching him. She's going to stop by again today, so she can make sure the cell phone is charged and that he's managing it okay. Now that he knows how to charge, it retrieve voice mail, and has a ring tone he can hear, hopefully he's set.


Sister said he was better yesterday than she's seen him in well over a month, so that was good news. He was also able to tolerate 2 hours of PT yesterday morning, and had been sitting up most of the day. Until yesterday, he hadn't been able to handle therapy and was spending most of the day in bed. I am more optimistic now that he will recover from this crisis.


I went for the dreaded mammogram this morning-- it actually wasn't that bad this time. I left Daughter outside waiting on the bus, which was running an hour behind schedule. I also managed to leave my cell phone at home. When I got home, there was a message on my machine from one of the saints informing me Daughter was at there house. The workshop cancelled after I left, and Daughter didn't want to be home alone. She started calling people. I think she has half of the county programmed into her cell phone. The first person she called was sick, so she couldn't go there. Aunt was 140 miles away, so not much help. Therapist gave her a pep talk about how she could stay home alone. She wasn't comfortable, so ended up with these folks on the north side of Tiny Village. I called and thanked them for rescuing a stray and told them they could send her home. Daughter is in a good mood, so I'm going to give her an opportunity to earn some money by putting her to work on housecleaning jobs. I've given her lots of praise for figuring out how to keep herself safe when she couldn't reach me.


She didn't have any low blood sugars yesterday, so last night she was comfortable with sleeping in her own room. Hopefully we're through the blood sugar crisis. I told her we're going to have to work together to lose weight and keep both of us healthy now that I have diabetes, too. I think she's liking the idea that she's no longer alone with this, and I'm struggling with the same disease. Maybe it will cut down on some of her "it's so unfair" complaints.



3 comments:

Torina said...

Wow, that is great that she is able to make calls and find someone to stay with. Glad her blood sugar was stable for once, too!

MBA Community Ministries said...

GLad things went better....I am proud of Daughter for being able to call for help! We cant seem to get that into our boys heads that it is ok to ask for help.

Reverend Mom said...

Sister called after school wondering how Daughter had managed. She said when she called her, she was in a panic. Her first words were "Aunt ____, I have really bad news." Sister was bracing herself for the worst, and was relieved that the problem was just the cancellation.

The change in plans plus her inability to reach me freaked her out. I'm proud of how well she managed the situation. She is growing and getting stronger.