Monday, December 8, 2008

Diabetes


I was at the church for almost 12 hours yesterday-- I went over at 8:15 yesterday morning, and got home at 8:15 last night. I was home for about 2 hours in the afternoon-- time I spent in the kitchen getting food ready for the youth group event yesterday. It was a good day. We finalized plans for the Christmas program next Sunday morning, and I spent time with the youth group. Have I mentioned lately how much I love the youth group? Yesterday they went caroling here in town, and then ate chili and hot dogs and wrapped presents for their Christmas family.


I also led a Blue Christmas service yesterday evening. I was doing fine until one of the women sang "Where Are You Christmas?" I looked over at Daughter, and she was crying. I was pleased with the way the service went. As soon as the service was over, Daughter's blood sugars began dropping. I was grateful that she waited until my church responsibilities were over to begin dropping.


Once she started dropping, though, it was a long night. We got her up to 90 around 10:00, and then she was in the 40's at midnight. She pigged out on cookies after the midnight low, and then misread her meter this morning, telling me her blood sugar was 44 instead of 244, so she we treated a nonexistent low this morning. She lobbied hard to stay home today, but I have a great deal to do today and need her to go to work.


I wish we could figure out what was causing these lows. They take a toll on her. This morning I have an appointment with my doctor for a long overdue physical. I find myself wondering if today will be the day I'm diagnosed with diabetes. I already have prediabetes. I wonder if I will do a better job of managing my own disease than we do with Daughter's.


Sister called this morning. The nurse practitioner saw Dad yesterday. He has fluid in both lungs, so she's started him back on a diuretic. The fluid is getting into his lungs more quickly now. It's probably the reason he was too weak to do physical therapy on Friday. Sister was talking to the nurses at the nursing home, and they pointed out that it all came down to the diabetes. He has had it for 34 years now, and most of that time it was not well controlled. He's paying for it now. Daughter has already had diabetes for 8 1/2 years. I hope we can get and keep hers under control.

No comments: