Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Sometimes I Wonder

Sometimes I wonder about my sanity. I mean, what person in her right mind would volunteer for additional responsibilities during her busiest month of the year? This afternoon we had Daughter's planning meeting for next year at the workshop. Why did I allow it to be scheduled at the beginning of December? Why did I allow my secretary to have a detached retina? Why did I volunteer to do lots of cooking for the youth group's Thanksgiving Dinner? Why did I volunteer to bake cookies for the senior luncheon tomorrow? Why did I volunteer to make chili for youth group Sunday night? Why did I volunteer to do the Open House again?
Daughter's planning went fine. I asked that they assign her tasks when there isn't work to do. She doesn't do well with unstructured time, and during "down time" the clients are generally left to entertain themselves. Doesn't work well for Daughter. They were also describing some of the mood swings she was having before we added the new med, and I asked them to please tell me when they were seeing things like that so I could get them addressed. She's 90th on the waiting list for supported living. By the time her number comes up, we'll be living elsewhere, I'm sure.
This evening I baked cookies. I spent a couple of hours on my feet while baking and cleaning up, and now my back is sore. I have so much I need to get done this week. I'm going to minimize my time at the senior luncheon tomorrow. Secretary will be back on Thursday, and I also have a volunteer coming in to help with the back up of work in the office. Now I'm going to go hide the cookies (Daughter didn't find them when I hid them under a table in the living room. I know that won't stay a safe place very long, but I'll take advantage of it while I can.)
Somehow I'll manage to get done what needs to be done. I always do. Dad was moved to a nursing home for rehab today. Hopefully it will be a short stay. Now I'm going to bed. I need a good night's sleep.

2 comments:

Torina said...

There are 90 people on the waiting list?? Oh WOW. I knew the lists were bad but I had no idea. We were told to get Tara on one now so she would have a place in a few years...I should take that a little more seriously...

Reverend Mom said...

Torina,
Get Tara on the list NOW. Daughter has been on the list for several years. The other day Therapist asked me if it was time to put Daughter in care now, so she could be supervised 24 hours a day and kept from sneaking food through the night. I told her the waiting list was too long and there was no way. She was at the meeting yesterday, and has a new perspective now. I don't think she'll make that suggestion again!