Friday, December 26, 2008

It Takes Skill

I'm sitting in my Dad's apartment, which feels like a sauna. He's sitting in the recliner next to me wrapped in a warm blanket, cold. Daughter has changed into a t-shirt, as she was roasting in her sweatshirt. When he goes to bed, I'll turn down the thermostat in the great room and open the window so I can sleep.
I forgot some books I was going to bring-- they were rather important, so I'm frustrated with myself. Hopefully we didn't forget anything else.
Daughter was super cooperative all day. While we out running errands, she said, "I can't believe I've been this cooperative all day!"
I said, "It makes things much easier, when you're so cooperative."
She agreed. I said, "It's hard work, being so difficult."
She grinned, and said, "It takes skill."
I love it when she's able to laugh at herself. I wish she would apply the skill she uses on being so difficult to more constructive pursuits. Hopefully she will be able to maintain the cooperative attitude and her sense of humor under the stress of time with her grandparents.

No comments: